The latest property news & information from a trusted source.
Explore our property blogs, select a category from below
Cairn: HMO Specialists in Glasgow
Cairn: HMO Specialists in Glasgow
As HMO specialists in Glasgow, we regularly write about the benefits and considerations of renting an HMO in the city, whether that’s from the perspective of a landlord or a tenant.
In this post, we’ve collected the most important links, definitions, and information, all in one place. If you’re thinking about renting an HMO in Glasgow, read this first.
Reminder: What is an HMO?
An HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) is a residential property where three or more unrelated people rent and share facilities (such as a bathroom, toilet, and kitchen). It’s sometimes referred to as a “house share”.
For a property to qualify as an HMO, it must meet strict licensing requirements. All HMO properties are licensed by the local council, and the council will typically inspect properties before issuing a licence.
The licence means HMO landlords are responsible for the following:
- Quarterly inspections and fire training
- Smoke alarm installation on every level
- Clearing fire escapes of obstruction
- Keeping communal areas clean and tidy
- Ensuring waste disposal facilities are in place
In addition to this, the rooms in the property must be of adequate size, and any gas and electrical appliances must be certified safe. And an approved HMO property must have its licence prominently displayed.
When is an HMO licence not required?
There are a few scenarios where an HMO licence isn’t required. For example, if a tenant is living with their landlord, the landlord doesn’t count as one of the unrelated people.
Similarly, by law, a landlord does not require a licence if two of the tenants are a couple. This is defined as “married or civil partners, or living together as husband and wife or, where they are of the same sex, in an equivalent relationship”.
You can read more about HMO licensing requirements on this page: HMO Letting with Cairn.
What are the Benefits of HMO Letting in Glasgow?
There are several benefits to renting a Glasgow HMO property, for both tenants and landlords:
- For tenants: You can split the bills between more people, potentially saving you more money than if you were renting alone or with one other person. HMOs in Glasgow are particularly popular with the city’s college and university students, allowing them to live affordably off-campus and cook together to save money.
- For landlords: You’ll likely receive a higher rental yield when letting a Glasgow HMO, while void periods are often reduced due to high demand from students and young professionals alike. HMOs also mean you can collect rent from several tenants, so if one is late, it shouldn’t hurt your cash flow as much as it would with a standard let.
Are There Any Downsides to Renting an HMO?
It’s not all sunshine and rainbows. There are a few minor downsides to renting HMO properties in Glasgow worth keeping in mind:
- For tenants: If one of your flatmates is late with their share of the rent, the rest of you could be on the hook for it. This can cause tension, particularly if you don’t know one another all that well prior to living together.
- For landlords: There are far more regulations and responsibilities involved in letting an HMO property compared to a standard let. And success can often hinge on your tenants co-habiting peacefully!
Our HMO Specialists Glasgow Resources:
We’re constantly adding more HMO Glasgow resources to our blog. We’ll keep this page updated with our latest articles:
- Getting to Grips with HMO Licencing – Are you a landlord looking to understand HMO licencing better? This post explains everything.
- Glasgow HMO Properties: What Do Students Need to Know? – Are you a student thinking of renting an HMO property in Glasgow during term time? We’ve got the answers to some frequently asked questions.
- Buy-to-Let in Glasgow: 4 Reasons Why Should Do It – Are you a landlord thinking about investing in an HMO in Scotland’s biggest city? Here are a few reasons why it’s a no-brainer.
- HMO Letting Glasgow West End: Advice for Students – Thinking of renting an HMO in the bustling West End of Glasgow? Read our top tips.
Handy Third-Party Links
Beyond our own blog posts and articles, check out these important links:
- Houses in Multiple Occupation – Glasgow City Council
- How to Apply for an HMO Licence with Glasgow City Council
- HMO Information from Glasgow University Students’ Representative Council
Cairn: HMO Specialists (Glasgow)
We’ve been managing fully licensed HMO properties in Glasgow for a number of years. Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant, when you rent with Cairn, you’re in good hands. We ensure all licensing requirements are met, tenants are moved in safely, and regulations are adhered to.
We also carry out quarterly inspections to make sure the property is secure, clean and comfortable, as per the HMO conditions.
Are you interested in renting an HMO property in Glasgow? Get in touch to learn more.