The latest property news & information from a trusted source.
Explore our property blogs, select a category from below
How to move letting agent – simple steps
As a landlord your letting agent should be your outsource department, their value should outweigh your costs. If this ideal doesn’t ring true it’s time for a change.
We know that changing letting agents can seem daunting, but take it from property managers who’ve been doing this for a while, there are a few easy steps to follow to keep the process simple.
Here’s our guide to the process.
- Check your current Terms of Business for any cancellation notice/fees applicable (or show your prospective new agent a copy. They will be happy to look through this for you.) If there is a cancellation fee speak to the agent you’re planning to move to. They should be happy to help.
- Find a letting agent that offers the services that you want. Discuss the reasons that you’re leaving your current agent and give your new agent the opportunity to address your concerns.
- Speak to your letting agent to advise them that you wish to terminate your agreement. Ask them to prepare a file handover with all relevant paperwork & keys etc. (We offer our clients a File Transfer Pack to ease the handover process. It’s worth asking is your new letting agent has one available.)
- Your new property manager will collect the file from your current letting agency and arrange for the deposit to be transferred into their Safe Deposit Scotland account.
- Your new letting agent will ensure that all relevant documentation and certification are in place and if not, will be able to arrange competitive quotes to bring your property up to standard.
- Your new Property Manager will contact your tenants to welcome them. At this stage they will advise them on maintenance and inspection procedures. The new agent will also help to transfer their rental payment to their account along with reassuring them that they are in safe hands! They will also arrange a first inspection where they can meet us and highlight any previous/new issues.
If you would like to change letting agents but are considering:
- How do I notify my tenants?
- How do I get out of my contract?
- How would I arrange to transfer keys?
Don’t be held back. None of these considerations need to be complicated and there’s no reason that your letting agent shouldn’t work well for you.
If you would like more information on changing letting agents we are happy to help. You can reach us at email@example.com or call on 0141 270 7878.