What you can do this Gas Safety Week
This week, September 14th – 20th is Gas Safety Week, an annual week co-ordinated and promoted by Gas Safe Register to raise awareness of gas safety and taking care of your gas appliances.
Why an annual focus?
Gas safety is an important part of tenant safety. Focussing on it for a week annually helps to ensure that landlords and tenants alike understand safety checks, maintenance and who’s qualified to undertake these.
Sadly appliances that are not fitted correctly or have not been serviced by a qualified engineer can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning is very poisonous and can’t be detected by sight, taste or smell so it can kill.
Who Gas Safe Register engineers are
The Gas Safety Register is an official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
How you can help
As a landlord you are legally responsible for ensuring:
• All appliances and flues provided for your tenant are maintained and in safe condition.
• All appliances and flues have an annual safety check – you can set a reminder here and Cairn landlords will get a reminder from us.
• Checks and maintenance are carried out by a Gas Safe Register engineer and your tenant knows to check their ID.
• All gas equipment (including any items left by a previous tenant) within the property is safe.
• Tenants are given a Gas Safety Record within 28 days of moving in.
• A copy of the Gas Safety Record should be kept for two years.
You can find out more about your responsibilities as a landlord here or by visiting www.gassaferegister.co.uk. Gas Safety Week is an ideal annual opportunity for all of our landlords to consider the gas safety of their properties and we aim to pick up and address any issues during routine inspections. You can find more tips online using #GSW15.